One-third of all reported crime is theft-related. Crimes against businesses like shoplifting cost communities millions every day. Yet they remain the most unsolved of all crimes, because each of these thefts is usually so small that the cost of investigating with traditional methods is prohibitively high. So they’ve remained in the dark, until now. Auror’s innovative software sheds light on high volume crime, making the cost of prevention lower than the cost of living with it.
WHY WE’RE HERE
Transforming the way police and communities prevent & solve crime in real-time.
Research shows previous approaches to combatting theft – catching crooks and locking them up – has had no effect in reducing retail crime. We started speaking to retailers and the Police to understand how they were currently combating the problem. They told us that efforts were typically fragmented and reactive, retailers often didn’t know who the prolific shoplifters were and when they were in the area, and the process to report an incident was complex and time-consuming. Organized crime groups thrive because the risk of getting caught is so low and the risk of getting prosecuted is even lower. Criminals know this, and that’s why they continue to proliferate. The frustrating reality is that prosecuting a shoplifter costs more than letting them get away with it. We decided there had to be a better way: a smarter and more proactive approach to prevent shoplifting.
WHAT WE DO
Our software connects people with information to prevent crime.
Auror works with retailers and Police to simplify the crime reporting process, aggregates reports across retailers, connects information in a smarter way, and provides actionable intelligence that enables customers to prevent crime before it happens.
- We collaborate with the Police, giving them the intelligence to efficiently identify and track repeat offenders and organized crime groups.
- We work with businesses to easily identify key offenders, making the process of reporting crime far less time-consuming for staff and enabling them to play a part in making the community safer.
- We work for the benefit of the community by addressing gateway crimes like shoplifting so more offenders are effectively turned away from a life of more serious crime.
HOW IT WORKS
- Preventing further incidents from occurring;
- Identifying repeat offenders and organised crime groups;
- Notifying Police or a customer’s Head Office that an incident has occurred;
- Sending out alerts to other sites in the area where an alleged offender may target next;
- Sharing information with other Auror customers within the same geographic region;
- Investigating an incident (by Police or other agencies) or used as evidence in a court of law; and
- Research into crime patterns and behaviours.
WHERE WE’RE GOING
We’ve assembled a talented bunch of people with expertise in software engineering, database management, data analytics, user experience design, privacy, and general problem-solving. We’re focused on delivering our customers a solution that is effective to the problems of today and tomorrow.
Our solution is tailored for law enforcement and enterprises: from retailers big and small, to mall operators, petrol stations, banks and any other enterprises victim to crime. We build sophisticated software that’s simple to use, with information security and compliance with privacy law as priorities.